The Tools for Genomics-Assisted Breeding in Polyploids: Development of a Community Resource will hold its third Tools for Polyploids Training Workshop on January 12-13th 2023. The workshop will be held as a hybrid meeting with the in-person meeting held at San Diego State University, in San Diego, CA, USA. It is designed to help those involved in any aspect of polyploid crop breeding incorporate the power of genomic data into a breeding program to accelerate breeding gain. Thus, all those involved in polyploid crop breeding and genetics are invited to attend. The schedule of events will be the following:
The Tools for Polyploids Training Workshop
- Computational Support: There will be three two-hour computational support sessions held in December before the 2023 Training Workshop. The purpose of these sessions is two-fold. First, to answer questions about the presentations from the 2022 Training Workshop. This is to allow those who missed the 2022 Training Workshop and those who want to review an opportunity to ask questions. It is strongly suggested that you view the presentations from the previous workshop that are available on our YouTube channel before the session. Second, to aid participants with any software installation or use issues. These questions will be fielded at all 3 sessions. It is recommended that all participants download the programs they would like to use along with the associated dummy datasets before the January 12th session. The web page and Slack channel set up for the Tools for Genomics-Assisted Breeding of Polyploids project have links to resources to learn R and all the relevant programs. The Slack channel is managed by a team that can help you troubleshoot any problems you might have working with the computational tools discussed. The sessions will be the following:
- Dec. 6, 2022 - Genotype Calling (12 pm CT)
- Dec. 13, 2022 - Mapping/QTL Analysis (12 pm CT)
- Dec. 20, 2022 - Genomic Selection and other topics (12 pm CT)
is a 2-day event with snacks and lunch provided. For those registering for the in-person event, there will be a $100 registration fee. The link to the payment page is at the bottom of this page.
The general topics covered are described below.
- Genetic marker imputation in polyploids
- Extension of the Reads2Map software to polyploids to facilitate the development of workflows to build linkage maps from sequencing data
- Extension of the mapping and QTL software from biallelic to multiallelic marker data
- Mapping and QTL software extended from strictly biparental to multiparental populations
- De novo haplotype assembly using GBS data from triplets/quartets and small family datasets
- Genomic selection with R package StageWise
- Breeding design simulation in clonal polyploids
- Comparison of mapping and QTL analytical tools with datasets from various crops
We will be tracking the knowledge and satisfaction of the Tools for Polyploids Training Workshops; thus, it is imperative that you complete the pre-conference and post-conference surveys. The information from the pre-conference survey is to establish the organization type, expertise, crop type, major traits of interest, and experience with specific software of the Training Workshop participants. The survey results will be summarized without identifying individual responses. These will be kept confidential.
Training Workshop Guides
Need information on public transportation, parking options, and hotel recommendations? Download our travel guide here.
The deadline for submitting abstracts is December 1, 2022. Each presenter will be given a poster board with a usable area measuring 36" x 36." Use the links above for full details on abstract submissions and poster presentation guidelines.
This project is awarding 25 travel grants of $1,000 each which are on a reimbursement basis. Decisions will be made weekly until all grants are awarded. Your application is due December 1, 2022. Questions regarding these grants can be sent to email@example.com.
Registration and Survey Form – Begin the registration process below.
Registration for in-person attendance must be done by December 23, 2022, and for virtual attendance by January 10. Shortly after you are registered you will receive an email to confirm your registration and to receive the Zoom link for the virtual meeting.
**For those attending in person, a $100 registration fee is required to cover expenses such as catering. Please use this link to continue to the payment page. This fee is non-refundable.**
Please click the "Next" button to proceed to the Registration and Survey Form. Once you start, the form takes roughly 10 minutes to complete. You are able to save your progress and come back later.